What???

What???
Did I come off as confrontational?

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The "Spark" and the "V.I.P."

It just occurred to me that this whole online dating thing, while it provides options, removes all the fun of meeting someone unexpectedly and having that "spark."



There are few moments in life that are better then the unexpected spark. I'm not talking about people you're just attracted to...that happens often enough. I'm talking about the genuine chemical reaction that happens when you meet someone that does it for you in EVERY (or nearly every) way. There's something about having the person in front of you, making eye contact, and getting a feel for what kind of energy and vibe they have. Its also an opportunity to build chemistry and really make a connection. And the thing about it is...it doesn't happen often for me AT ALL. Maybe twice in my life.

I never like anyone when I first meet them. I meet guys all the time...nine times out of ten I make friends with them, and don't give them a second thought. Maybe I just love making new friends, maybe its an iron-clad defense mechanism. Jury's still out on that one. Anyway, over time, I'll start to decide that maybe I like some random guy I'm friends with...I'll slowly and gradually figure out that they don't suck and that they are date-able.

But by then, most guys are all set with me and have settled into the friendship option.

Which is where online dating comes in.

This way, I get to decide that I like the guy BEFORE I meet him, hopefully breaking my track record of deciding to have a crush on people 3 months after I meet them.
Because it seems to me that men work entirely differently than I do. They make snap decisions fairly quickly on whether you're attractive and/or dateable, test the waters, and make the move. If the move doesn't work, MOST of the time, they move on.


And then there's me, Miss Slow-on-the-Uptake, figuring out some six months later that maybe I'm interested.



It's a problem.



So I'm trying to give lots of different types of men a chance. Instead of doing what I normally do, which is write them off immediately. This is ultimately a good thing for me, but in the meantime it has resulted in dates with Jersey & Vegetarian, both of whom I would normally not have said yes to going out with. I'm sticking with it, because this is an experiment, and I can't randomly quit a summer-long online dating trial just because I'm creeped out by guys online.

Peace out for now...



P.S. Today I received a V.I.P. email on Match.com. V.I.P. stands for...wait for it...


VERY. INTERESTED. PERSON.


Inside the body of the email, "Hi. My name is ****. I am interested in getting to know you."

It seems redundant.
Now I know two things about this guy. His name, and the fact that he is both interested, and VERY interested.



I think maybe I'm too sarcastic for online dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment