What???

What???
Did I come off as confrontational?

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Clash of the Titans: Match.com Vs. eHarmony



Despite being a super fun chick who meets random and undesirable men at bars, I decided that I would commit to trying online dating for three months. I figure that's a solid span of time to decide how I feel about the whole thing. Let me just put this on the table...

...eHarmony and Match.com...

VERY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES.


Match.com is basically a plethora of random men who decide they like your "profile." (And by profile, I mean that they want to do you.) Now I'm sure that there are genuine men on there...actually I think I've already met a couple of them...but there's also "Random Guy 56" who takes a shirtless picture of himself in front of his summer home and tells you he finds you "incredibly sexy."



Then, as you're puking in your mouth, some other dude who is 67 and looking for a traveling companion WINKS* at you, which is the Match.com equivalent of "I'm not sure I'm interested but you don't suck so this is the least time-consuming thing I can do to contact you." It's the virtual equivalent of an emoticon smiley-face, except most of the time...it doesn't make you smile...you just cringe and pretend like it didn't happen.


Now eHarmony is a WHOLE different animal. This time, you're matched based on "29 dimensions of compatibility." I don't really know what that means, but ONE thing it means is that there are more guys my age that are matched with me...score one for eHarmony. However, you aren't able to really "search" for matches like on match.com. Score one for Match.

Plus, I'm not gonna lie...I'm sort of afraid the eHarmony guys want to be married. Like tomorrow. And I'm open to the relationship thing, I just don't think I need to be settling down and buying a rocking chair to die in just yet. Not sure I'm ready for that.


Then again, the eHarmony guys are much more attentive overall. Ultimately, you get more of an ego-boost from eHarmony. Though to be fair, the sheer volume of men on Match.com is enough to make any single woman believe that there are more fish in the sea.



Let me end this post with a moment on my soapbox.
The answer to your question YES.

I DO post a full-body shot on both websites.




And frankly, I'm mildly annoyed when men don't do the same thing. I want people to know what they're getting into. Its not like I have anything to hide...I'm actually pretty sure the full body shot helps (It always does when you're hot) but why don't men feel the same courtesy is required?

I'm trying to screen out the guys with chicken legs just like you're trying to screen out guts and saddlebags.


Final Score: Undecided.
First site to get me a keeper wins.

Until then...let the games begin.

1 comment:

  1. I had a friend whose sister was on eHarmony - she said that they wouldn't match her with people. Like, she got three matches and when she didn't like them, they didn't give her more. I've never tried but sounds frustrating!

    ReplyDelete