
What is with these guys initiating contact then disappearing?
Scenario: I receive some kind of communication from some dude, "SeemsNormal10". Maybe he "winks" at me. (Which I hate, by the way, its like the romantic equivalent of throwing crap at someone)... or better yet, an EMAIL. This guy seems surprisingly normal, his photo doesn't look like a mugshot, and he says something socially appropriate like, "You seem like an interesting person, I'd like to get to know you better. Hope to hear from you."
This is the Match.com pot-o-gold, because this guy seems normal. Some of these men will actually send you an email with the subject heading "Don't delete this please."
So you can understand the enthusiasm when someone DOESN'T seem socially awkward.

In this case, I actually might enjoy chatting with someone. Tell them about myself, blah, blah, blah. DON'T mention that I write a blog about online dating (it's a turn-off. Go figure.) You get it. This guy emails consistently, asking all these interested questions...a lot of times even saying that they want to meet up, right? And then, one day...
Disappeared.
Sometimes it takes me a day or two to notice, because I'm an online dating deadbeat and don't always keep up...BUT...what happened? My theories are as follows:
1) They started dating someone else, which, let's be honest, I could just as easily do to them, so no harm no foul.
2) They were not interested in me anymore (which is weird considering at this point we've never met)
3) Double hand amputation (unable to type)
4) Generalized laziness
5) They realized that random sex wasn't an option on the table
6) They died
I don't really know what to say about it except it's weird.

Still though, its random right? I mean, we're talking guys that are ALL about talking. They initiate, they keep the convo going even when I get lazy and take days off...and then all of a sudden...BAM! Into thin air.
Lesson learned: Online dating provides lots of options but also lots of opportunities to limp out of things, never to be seen or heard from again. And until I meet a guy, I assume I might never see or hear from him after that.
...Maybe they found out about the blog.

Oops.

No comments:
Post a Comment